3 Signs that indoor allergens in house are making you sick

Are the allergens in your own house?

When most people think of allergies, they think of pets, food, or outdoor pollen as triggers that may make them have a reaction or get sick. But what many people don’t realize is that some of your allergy symptoms may be originating from within your own home.

These indoor allergens are often caused by mold or mildew that have grown inside your walls and under your roof. Indoor allergens in Tampa, FL are surprisingly common given how rainy our climate can be. So if you find yourself sneezing and reacting to an unknown allergy while inside, chances are it may be inside your own walls!

What is the cause of indoor allergens?

In many cases, those who suffer from allergy attacks indoors have had or currently have a leaky roof. When your roof leaks, water will seep into the attics and walls. And while this may not be immediately obvious to you, it leads to mold and mildew forming out of sight. As this mold and mildew continue to grow unchecked, it will get into the air you breathe regularly, leading to sickness and reactions. 

3 signs that your house is the cause of your allergic reactions

  1. You’ve had a roof leak or chimney leak

Even if this was years ago and you’ve had a fix or repair done, water may have gotten into your home and started growing mold and mildew. At the first sign of a roof leak, or any leak in your home, you should have a professional inspection done to figure out if water has penetrated your home. 

  1. You have no allergic reactions normally, but react only while you are home

This is especially true for people who have recently bought a home and suddenly find themselves reacting to an unknown indoor allergen. There is a good chance that the home had a leak previously. This also does not mean you recently developed an allergy to a family pet or a food, as allergies to mold and mildew can affect almost anyone and usually present themselves as coughing, sneezing, and watery eyes. 

  1. You live in a hot and humid climate

Unfortunately for us Floridians, indoor allergens are a common problem. With our rainy weather, even just a little bit of water that sneaks inside our homes can develop into mold and mildew. Our hot, humid climate causes this development to happen faster than those in more neutral climates. This means you will need to be hyper aware of conditions to your roof and home in general.

sick lady from indoor allergens

What to do if you suspect you may have a roof leak

Acting fast is the best thing you can do if you suspect that your home may have a roof leak. You should look for warning signs like wet spots developing along your ceiling or walls. If you have a chimney, try to notice if you see water dripping or pooling at the bottom of the chimney.

If you notice any of these signs, call a Stay Dry Roofing right away. Our team is able to inspect your roof and locate areas where water may be penetrating into your home. Once these areas are identified, we can repair the compromised area to prevent further water leaks. We may be able to offer you advice on who to speak to about repairing the interior damage and removing the mold or mildew that has developed.

Do you want a roof evaluation for a possible leak?

If you are experiencing indoor allergen symptoms in Tampa, FL or the surrounding areas, do yourself a favor and give Stay Dry Roofing a call. Our team is experienced at identifying leaks and helping you determine where they may be causing mold or mildew buildup within your home. With over 30 years of experience, we treat each customer like a part of our own family, so this means you won’t have to worry about our team not caring about your needs. Don’t wait when it comes to your health! Call Stay Dry Roofing today!

FREE estimate. Financing available. No money down.​

Committed to customer satisfaction



Tarpon Springs

Palm Harbor

Citrus Park



Pinellas Park

Plant City

Temple Terrace

Wesley Chapel

River View


Land O Lakes

St. Petersburg


Cape Coral